Saturday, April 09, 2005

Why "Hook and Crook"?

The credit really goes to my husband. I told him I wanted to start a new blog about my life and my crocheting, but was stumped for a title. He thought for a moment and came up with "Hook and Crook".

*Hook: n.
1. A curved or sharply bent device, usually of metal, used to catch, drag, suspend, or fasten something else.


As a crocheter I use metal hooks to fasten yarn to yarn, thus creating lovely things with each stitch.

*Crook: n.
1. An implement or tool, such as a bishop's crosier or a shepherd's staff, with a bent or curved part.
2. A part that is curved or bent like a hook.
3. A curve or bend; a turn: a crook in the path.


I rather like the last definition. The path of my life has taken many crooks (twists or turns) along the way, and each is different and unique. Plus a crook is just a curved part like a crochet hook.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I see your favorite book is Mrs. Mike. I have loved that book since it originally came out, probably in the late 40's. I see it is available again is actually in reprint. Just had to mention that, don't remember anyone ever mentioning that book I love so.
hooksandhoops@AOL.com