Thursday, September 01, 2005

Restoring my faith in mankind

Hook News:
Finding myself projectless I was tempted to rip into a packed box to find yarn and a pattern. What sanity I have left prevailed and I opted to work on that 2-year old WIP. The problem was that I had already packed the pattern. A quick search of my HD revealed a stashed copy. I also found it on the web, so if anyone is looking for a lucious ripple pattern, this might be what you want.

Popcorn Ripple from the Craft Yarn Council of America

Book news:
I just finished reading “Shadowfall” by James Clemens (aka: James Rollins). Figured I'd share my impression with you:

First, I've never read a book quite like this before. I guess the closest would be Jim's other books like “Ice Hunt” and such. I admit that I found it both fascinating and disquieting.

The story was very well told. Jim's skills as an author/story teller become better and better with every book. I liked the characters. All of the good ones, but only some of the evil ones. His descriptions of people and places was wonderful and I could picture things in my mind as I read. I found myself wanting to read faster just to find out what would happen to everyone.

But, for me as a Christian, I found the “gods”, “demons”, and dark side of people and things disquieting. I was uncomfortable enough that several times I put the book down. FWIW, I have the same reaction to parts of “Lord of the Rings”, and even “Harry Potter”.

So, while this was a great book, I don't know if I'll read the 2nd one or not! Only time will tell. :)

Crook News:
Restoring my faith in mankind

Our neighbor, let's call him “G”, is a really nice guy—always willing to lend a neighbor a hand. He was talking to Mr. Retired about our move, and said if we needed to haul anything to the dump to let him know and he'd take it for us.

So Tuesday he came by and he and Mr. Retired emptied out a major section of the garage. We gave “G” our free dump pass and he added some things of his own and off he went. Never asked for money, or a favor in return, just took our stuff with a smile on his face.

Now “G” loves to do woodworking, so when he returned home, Mr. Retired gave him some tools, a sweet deal on his shopsmith and drill press and other wood working stuff.

At 8:30 this morning the doorbell rang and it was “G”. Seems he found a $100 bill in the one old tool box (was my late-fil's toolbox) and he was returning the money. Yup -- he RETURNED the money!

We were both stunned. By rights, “G” could have kept that money and we would not have known; but he felt it was important to do the right thing as an example to his 2 boys ... so he returned the money.

Sometimes good things do come to those who wait. :)

More good things:
Our rental agent called tonight. We may have a home to rent. We will know more tomorrow.
“Praise ye the LORD. Praise the LORD, O my soul. While I live will I praise the LORD: I will sing praises unto my God while I have any being.”—Psalms 146:1,2
I think I'll sleep very well tonight—even if I do ache from head to toe.

No comments: