Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Afghan update

Hook news:
Mary Maxim Contest
Last night I finished the 20th square, wove in all the ends on the last 5 and joined 2 more rows to the contest ghan. I'm now 2/3 finished!

Crook news:
Shaking my head
I don't often comment on politics, at least not here, but I'm shaking my head this morning over an action taken by the California Assembly. (Sometimes I think the first 3 letters of their name are so very appropriate!)

This past January the Anaheim Angels changed the name of their baseball team to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Reason? Marketing that translates to more money. (Now that song from Cabaret is running through my brain! … “Money makes the world go around …”)

Personally, I thought the name change was a silly thing to do. The team is in Anaheim. Be proud of it. Besides, is it really that big of a deal? Disneyland is in Anaheim and they aren't out to change their name to LaLa Disneyland in Anaheim. There is also the Anaheim Ducks. Do they now become the LA Ducks of Anaheim? If you do a search on Google for “Anaheim”, the 5th hit is for the Anaheim Angels. They should have left well enough alone. But they didn’t, and apparently their actions are so important they Calif. Assembly has to step in and pass a law. Yes, we have a law pending that will “require a team named for a city in which it doesn't play most of its games to disclose that fact on all tickets, advertisements and promotional materials.” The reason? The consumer is being deceived.

Sure they are, but is this the best the great California Assembly can come up with? This is how they earn their pay? This state is facing a $4 billion budget deficit and potential water and electricity shortages, yet the Assembly is worried about what is on a sports ticket?

I have to agree with Assemblyman Ray Haynes, R-Murrieta, who said, "This is an absolutely foolish bill." Here! Here! Assemblyman Haynes, stick by your guns. Get the Senate to join you, and then please get back to the business of dealing with the mess the State of California is in—before it’s too late.

Personal:
From my reading in Psalms this morning:

I will sing unto the LORD, because he hath dealt bountifully with me. – Psalms 13:6

The world may idle away it’s time, the legislature may idle away it’s duties, but the Lord has been gracious to me, and I will sing His praises my life through.

No comments: