Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Fizzling Out

The drive down the Oregon coast was wonderful. We saw tons of sights that we can't wait to go back and explore. Scenery was breathtaking and traffic was light.

Driving through Florence reaffirmed to us that it was NOT the place for us--to big townish, and reminded us too much of where we currently live. Port Orford was darling, but too warm for us. North Bend and Coos Bay were depressing. Gold Beach looked interesting, and we will probably explore there some day. One thing we noticed was the difference in scenery. The southern coast of Oregon is very similar to the California coast. The pine trees are less prevelant, the hills are brown and dry, the air is not as fresh and cool. It was sad, very sad. Made worse because we have left our hearts in Waldport.

Eventually we got to Brookings. The entire town is ... well, it's like being in a California prison town. I felt like someone had pulled the plug and all the air was leaving my balloon. It was worse when we got to our motel. Somehow I messed up and we aren't in the newer Best Western on the ocean, we are in the older one that is inland. The room is non-smoking, but right next door are all the smoking rooms. Our neighbor opened his window and door and sat there and smoked. We wound up closing our window and letting the room get stuffy in order to breath. I did lodge a complaint, but every room is taken. Not to worry ... I will let Best Western and AAA know my feelings. *wink*

After Mr. Retired had a short nap, we went down to the ocean front to look around *sigh, sigh* and have dinner. Went to the "best" seafood place in town. Honestly, it's not even the level of Red Lobster. The salad dressing was watery and from a bottle, the tartar and cocktail sauce was from a bottle and the clams .. I doubt they were fresh. I felt like I was back in the valley eating "fresh frozen" from the east coast stuff. Gads! Eight days in heaven on earth and I'm so spoiled! LOL!

Now ... don't want you to think the whole day has been a fizzly bust, because it hasn't. After supper we went down to the beach and walked around looking for shells. (Do you realize I am going back to California without ONE shell!?) Anyhow, no shells but a nice smooth pebble that washed up in a wave ... and I finally ... FINALLY ... got to take off my shoes and wade in the ocean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :))))) My socks are probably ruined as they got soaked by a large wave before I could pull them off. hahaha My pants will dry and I will have to vacuum out the car when we return home -- but it was worth it. *huge grins*

Food for the body, food for the soul
Twice today I was reminded of "manna from heaven". This morning the folks in the room above ours were dropping seeds to the birds, and the birds were down below on our porch waiting for it fall ... just like manna from heaven.
"Our fathers did eat manna in the desert; as it is written, He gave them bread from heaven to eat."--John 6:31
The second time was when we stopped for coffee at the "Station Restaurant" in Bandon. The place was packed and we had to wait for a table. As I stood in the entryway, I was looking over the rack of freebie stuff, and there at the top I saw copies of "Our Daily Bread". I thought it was interesting that this restaurant served food for the body and food for the soul.
"And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst."--John 6:31
I haven't read this devotional in several years, so I picked up a copy. After all, my soul needs to be feed with the living manna. What are you feeding your soul?

No comments: