Friday, August 12, 2005

What one starts, one should finish; or...

Fuelish me.
Wednesday was the last day of our trip. Woke up to fog, fog, fog. Wonderful. :) Went to a lovely pancake place in Brookings for breakfast and couldn't find a parking spot. That's always a good sign, and we weren't disappointed—had a great breakfast, in fact it was the best of the trip.

Our drive down from Brookings was wonderful. Temps in the mid-60's, and fog mingled with moments of sunshine. Totally grand! There were spots where the fog was literally shooting UP the side of the coastal mountain and climbing up to the sky. Other places where it was wafting across the road like big puffs of smoke.

Eventually we reached the Oregon/California border and the dredded “Inspection Station”! Not to worry, no plants, no fruit ... and no inspection! The Inspector was too busy standing over on the side chatting with another state employee—ah yes, my tax dollars at work. Whatever. LOL!

I admit to shedding a few tears as we crossed the border. I so wanted to go back to Waldport. *sigh, sigh, sigh* Well, nothing to be done about it other than be a good girl and come back here to “Heatsville” and pack.

We caught Hwy. 299 in McKinleyville, and traveled across to I-5. Some beautiful sights, and boy was it HOT! We got caught in 4 road repair traffic jams, but none of them were very long.

We had a late lunch (3:15pm) in Weaverville at a little “mom and pop” type diner. Food was great, even if it was 104 outside!

After reaching I-5, we gassed up in Red Bluff. Now here's where it gets fuelish. You see, Mr. Retired started the process, but I finished it so he could wash the front window. Problem is, I apparently had left my marbles in Oregon and I did something FOOLISH. I failed to put the gas cap back in place. So off we go, we hear this “clunk”, and wonder what it is. About 300 ft down the on ramp, I realize what it is! We stop, I check and ... yup ... cap is gone.

Mr. Retired backs up, scraps car on one of those plastic reflectors on the side of the road. He stops car and walks back to get gas cap. No cap. :( No choice but to head for our house and hope for the best. Only thing is we wasted almost an hour, so it was fairly late when we got to our house. It was still quite hot when we got here too.

When we come in the house, the cats are upset. They have no water, and the house reaks of dirty litter. Apparently our housesitter scooped out the litter pans, but never changed them. Well, in 10 days those babies were starting to walk. ;-) We spent time loving the kitties, we fed and watered them, cleaned the litter pans and showered.

I also had to take the time to call our one credit card company. We managed to misplace Mr. Retired's piece of plastic. Luckily, no charges on the acct. The company cancelled and is sending us new cards. Of course, late yesterday I finally found the errant card ... but by then it was too late. Oh well. ;-)

Tried to stay up and catch the 11pm news, but I was too tired. I hit the bed and thought, “Gads, this is harder than the floor.” LOL! We've always slept on a very firm mattress, but we got spoiled on our vacation and now we want a softer mattress. Guess we'll have to break down and buy a topper to use until we move. ;-)

Anyhow, that's the trip home, and now you know how fuelish (or foolish) I can be. LOL!

No comments: