Thursday, August 18, 2005

Showing Respect

Note: you'll have to forgive the quality of the pics as my camera doesn't do well in dusk or night time lighting, plus two of the pics were taken as we drove past.

Last night Mr. Retired and I went out to dinner and found ourselves on the outskirts of a demonstration. A mini one by comparison to what takes place in many cities, but a demonstration none the less. I've been on the outskirts of several demonstrations over the years. I was in Chicago during the anti-war march that resulted in the "Chicago Seven" trial. Now that was flat out scary! I've been close to labor union demonstrations in both Chicago and San Francisco. I've been in San Francisco during various political demonstrations, and none of them were really fun experiences; so to stumble upon a demonstration in my town was more than a bit unnerving.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

What prompted the demonstration?
This town is home to the woman sitting outside President Bush's ranch. While I don't agree with her stand, I'm thankful that I live in a country where she has the right to protest and not be thrown in jail. I'm thankful that I live in a country where those who support her, as well as those who oppose her, are allowed to stand on the sidewalks with flags and signs and express their viewpoints. I'm thankful I live in a town where the reaction was peaceful. No fights, no violence, just quiet discussions, lots of horn honking, and lots of flag waving.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

One local paper said 250 people attended. I'd guess that 2/3 of those where the pro-Bush/pro-military supporters. They lined both sides of the street in front of city hall and the Veteran's Memorial--a fitting place for them to stand, in my opinion. In the 30 min. I was there all the horn honking and support was for the pro-Bush/pro-military supporters--also very fitting considering we are home to many of the personnel stationed at Travis AFB.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

No matter how many were there on either side, it still stirred my heart to see the flag held high, to see folks showing respect to each other, and to see people willing to stand and show the rest of the city where they stand and what they believe. God bless them all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very well said, Kimmer. Being an American definately has it's perks! God Bless Us One and All!!

Hugs,
Sandy