Friday, August 26, 2005

Reaching a pinnacle

Hook News
Earlier this week I started a Lacy Shell Ripple ghan (“Ripples by Design”, leaflet 2905). I've been looking forward to working this pattern for several years, and I've had the yarn set aside for the past 2 years. What a disappointment. I reworked the first row twice and still had one chain left over, the directions do not make sense to me, and I'm not pleased with the way it looks at all. Now I'm hunting for an interesting ripple ghan to make with my yarn.

In the process of searching the web, I stumbled across a leaflet from LA (“Ripple Afghans for the Family”, LA 3711) and I'm in love with the ghan on the cover. It's now on my “buy when I get moved” list. It's becoming a very long list. LOL!

Crook News
Yesterday was a pinnacle. One of those days you work towards, ofttimes struggle to reach, and once there you rejoice in reaching the top. Usually you find that the ride down the other side of the pinnacle is smooth and graceful, leaving you with a sense of accomplishment and happiness; and spurring you on to your next pinnacle.

We had worked hard to reach yesterday's pinnacle, and were looking forward to the joyous ride down the other side. Sadly the top was anything but satisfying—in fact it was very frustrating—and that made the ride down anything but smooth.

The day after we returned from our house hunting/vacation on the 10th, we made an appointment for a non-profit to pick up many items that we had decided not to take when we move. Everything was useable and in good shape, although a few things were dusty from being in the garage for several years. When I made the appt., I had discussed with the lady what would be in the pick-up and she said it was all okay, but subject to the drivers final decision. No problem as far as we were concerned as we weren't putting out any junk.

So for 14 days we worked hard, with no major breaks. We'd collapse into bed at night totally exhausted; but we were working towards our goal of leaving this area for our dream retirement home, so it was all going to be worth it.

Yesterday we arose with the sun, and started moving all the items out into the driveway. It took us over 1 ½ hours, but when done we were pleased. To us it was a visual indicator of our hard labors. Several hours later, we discovered that a driver with an attitude cared not for our labors.

His first comment to Mr. Retired was, “We don't take things that aren't in a box.” Huh? Okay, so we taped some boxes together and put the bagged items into boxes. Then the driver started picking through the boxes. “Nope. Nope. Nope.” On and on it went until at least 1/3 of what we'd put out was rejected for one reason or another—not all of which made sense. I won't bore you with all the details, but here's my favorite: he wouldn't take the lids to the plastic tubs because they looked like junk, but he took the tubs. LOL!

After the truck was gone, I helped Mr. Retired move all the rejects back in the garage. Then I came in and placed a note to the local freecyclers and all the rejects are now gone to new homes. Go figure.

The balance of the day was tough. I felt as though I'd been crushed. I'm sure it was simply physical exhaustion mixed with the emotional drain of everything. I finally had to stop and relax in order to regroup. As I sat in my chair, with ice on my knee, I opened my Bible and was reading in Psalms:
“The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way.”—Psalms 37:23, KJV.
I stopped and read the passage again, and my brain kicked in and I realized that even though our day had not gone the way we wanted, and the ride down the pinnacle wasn't graceful nor fun, it was all according to God's plan for our life and I should simply delight in what took place. I admit my list of “I'm sorry, Lord” was pretty long yesterday, but I slept well last night and today it all looked so very different. I'm climbing up the next mountain, reaching for that next pinnacle and looking forward to all the God has in store. I hope that you are able to delight in the way that God moves you.

No comments: