Sunday, October 09, 2005

Books, books, books

Yesterday was grand! Got more of the kitchen finished, but I still have one cabinet and the drawers! I'd forgotten the drawers!!!!!!!!! Then late afternoon we headed over to Connie's house where we enjoyed a class reunion with several of Mr. Retired's college buddies. The guys all roomed together and the gals had gone to the same school—so the stories were most interesting. Even the pictures ... especially the candid shots. hehehehehehehehehe

We sampled wine (no shock that I enjoyed the Merlot the best—I find Pinot Noir too delicate for my taste buds), enjoyed great food (I want the recipes!), and most of all had a great time! Kudo's to Dan for organizing everything!

Book News:
With 9 days to go until we move, I thought I'd tell you what I've been reading. :)
  • Last to Die by James Grippando rates a 4.5 out of 5.
  • Hawke by Ted Bell rates a 2.9 out of 5. I found the main character irritating, wussy, and aggravating!
  • Scarecrow by Matthew Reilly rates a 4.8 out of 5. I will be looking for his other books once I get settled.
  • Sticks and Scones by Diane Mott Davidson rates a 5 out of 5. Delightful light hearted mystery, solved in the usual Goldie way -- and the recipes are all first rate!
  • When the Wind Blows by James Patterson rates a 1 out of 5. Actually that's generous. I didn't finish the book -- dumped it after 5 chapters.
So, what to read next is a big dilemma! I have Lifeguard from Patterson, a couple of older mysteries that I've read before but would enjoy, a Tom Clancy (not sure I have the attention span for his stuff right now), and Map of Bones by James Rollins. Now I'd love to get into Map of Bones but there's the lack of attention span and most importantly, I'm saving it as my treat. It was a birthday present from Mr. Retired and I planned from the beginning to save it and begin reading it once we reach Oregon and things are calm again. I figure I've earned a new James Rollins and want to relax and totally enjoy it.

So I'm back to my original prob -- what to read next. Too bad I packed all my books first thing. *smacks self up side of head*

Update on our visitor: He's clever. He licked the peanut butter off the one trap, and licked enough off the second trap to scoot the peanut butter down a bit, but not far enough to trip the trap and get caught. We need more traps. I sure hope I don't find him as I finish cleaning out the food cabinets!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Truly enjoy reading your day to day adventures. Maybe because im so housebound, but whatever reason, i think you are an excellent writer and should write a book...

Anonymous said...

me 2
HH

Kimberly said...

You are both sweeties, and I've spoken with someone about a book -- don't know how things will work out. Time will tell. :)